From the beginning of the LCDeVF project we have had the idea of using on board batteries but (unfortunately?) testing so far has shown that if no on board battery or batteries are used the overall durability is increased.
Considerations for moving to external power only:
- Most professionals use external and universal powering via external batteries already instead of multiple (HDSLR) camera batteries.
- External V-Mount type battery for example offers day(s) of continuous operation.
- More durable, rugged
- Weight reduction by ca 75% offers greater balance (to reduce leaning to the left, minor).
- 50% more compact (shorter).
- Can implement a really good and universal power supply unit that could accommodate very different voltage supplies.
- One external battery can power all the system componets from camera to light to external audio recorder not to mention external LCD monitor and of course the electronic viewfinder - one charger, few batteries and off we go.
- Requires external battery (additional cost if customer doesn't already own a one).
So, the question remains wether or not customers are willing to use external power?
External batter/charger options start from $30 and in case of complete IDX V-Mount production system might cost up to $900 or more.